Everyone loves arroz con pollo! Not exaggerating, just stating facts. Here’s a recipe for this amazing chicken and rice dish that will definitely have your guests coming back for more time and time again.
- 3 lbs. chicken; cut into smaller chunks
- 2 1/2 cups short grained white rice
- 5 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 oz. bacon; cooked and cubed
- 2 oz. cooking ham; cubed
- 1/3 cup onion; thinly diced
- 1 medium Cubanelle pepper; chopped
- 3 sweet pepper; chopped
- 1 medium tomato; chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Capers; sliced
- 8 green olives; seeded
- 3 medium garlic cloves; crushed
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano or ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 oz. jar of sweet red peppers (pimientos morrones); sliced
- Stir-fry the bacon and ham in the olive oil using a medium pot over medium low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add onion, Cubanelle pepper, and sweet peppers and stir-fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomato, capers, olives, tomato sauce, oregano and salt. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, cover, and cook at low heat for 10 minutes. Halfway through (at the 5 minute mark) turn chicken, cover and allow continuing cooking (approximately 5 more minutes).
- Rinse rice under running water until water runs clear. Rinse once more.
- Add 2 ½ cups of water to pot and add rice. Bring to a boil.
- Lower to medium heat. Cook uncovered until the Surface of the rice no longer has any foam.
- Stir the rice from the bottom up. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir rice thoroughly, cover, and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Once done, use a fork to fluff the rice and separate the grains prior to serving.
- After serving decorate the rice by placing strips of Pimientos Morrones over it.