Mouth watering baked cheesy meatballs make for a quick and easy way to enjoy meatballs that are cheesy and creamy but layered with the flavor.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1lb lean ground pork
- 2tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 14oz (approx) can diced tomatoes
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1-2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 2-3 leaves fresh basil, roughly torn
- Black Pepper
- 2oz Sharp cheddar cheese or any similar hard cheese, grated
- 1oz breadcrumbs
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the ground pork and chopped basil in a large bowl and add half the onion mixture.
- Mix together well and shape into about 15 balls.
- Add the diced tomatoes, ketchup, parsley, torn basil and black pepper to the remaining onion mixture. Pour the sauce into the bottom of a large casserole dish. Carefully place the meatballs into the dish and spoon a little of the tomato sauce over the top.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese. Top the meatballs with the breadcrumb mixture and bake for about 30 minutes until topping is golden and meatballs are cooked through.