Recipe for Hawaiian Chicken Rice Bowls – This chicken recipe reminds me of my last trip to Hawaii. When my family started making the yummy noises, I knew I had a winner.
Hawaiian Chicken Rice Bowls
This chicken recipe reminds me of my last trip to Hawaii. When my family started making the yummy noises, I knew I had a winner.
- 4-6 chicken breasts or thighs (frozen or thawed)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon-lime soda (I double the soda to 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tblsp soy sauce
- 2-3 Tblsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Tblsp cornstarch
- 2 Tblsp water
- 4-6 cups prepared long grain rice – white or brown – follow package directions
- 2-3 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 cup shredded/julienned carrots
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chicken inside slow cooker. (Six Sisters’ Stuff used frozen chicken, I used thawed chicken)
- Mix together brown sugar, vinegar, soda, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper. Pour over chicken in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours, if using frozen chicken. For thawed chicken, cook on low 5-6 hours, on high for about 4 hours
- Prepare rice (according to package directions) and steam/boil your veggies. We like broccoli & shredded carrots (throw the carrots in with the broccoli for the last 1 minute of cooking), but you can pick your favorite veggies here (zucchini, snow peas, stir fry mix, etc)
- Take chicken pieces out of slow cooker and lightly shred in a bowl. Set aside.
- Pour remaining sauce from slow cooker into saucepan.
- Place saucepan over high heat.
- Mix together corn starch and water, pour into saucepan, and mix well.
- Let sauce come to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken and turns into a glaze. You’ll need to watch the sauce and whisk it occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let sit for a minute or two (it will continue to thicken as it cools down).
- We like to serve this buffet-style, but you could build the rice bowls before bringing them to the table. Rice in first, followed by veggies, top with shredded chicken & drizzle with sauce.