Are you dreaming of tropical, pineapple ice cream as a cool treat in the heat of summer? Then we have you covered!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered milk
- 8 eggs, only egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups of pineapple, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- In a large pot mix the milk, sugar and powdered milk. Bring the mix to a low simmer over medium heat and stir to dissolve the sugar, then turn the heat down and just keep it warm.
- Put the egg yolks in a medium bowl and whisk for 2 minutes until they are thickened.
- While constantly whisking, slowly add 1 cup of the hot milk mixture and whisk until it is blended. Then pour the egg mixture back into the pot of hot milk and increase heat to medium. Stir the mixture constantly with a wooden or plastic spoon, until the mixture is thickened (like gravy).
- Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Cover and put into the refrigerator for at least 6 hours (or overnight) before making the ice cream in the ice cream maker.
- Blend fruit in a food processor or blender to a puree consistency.
- Stir the pureed fruit into the milk and egg mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen, 15-20 minutes, according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to plastic container and place in the freezer for an hour before serving.