This classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a favorite that has made a comeback, and it’s easier than ever to make when using a cake mix.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
This classic favorite has made a comeback. Here is an easy recipe for super-moist homemade pineapple upside-down cake!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- sliced pineapple (6-8 canned slices or use fresh)
- 15-20 maraschino cherries
- 1 and 2/3 cups sifted all-purpose flour, careful not to overmeasure
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature preferred
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (reserved from the canned pineapple or use fresh)
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 1/4 cup of melted butter into a 9-inch pie dish or 9×2 inch (deep dish) round cake pan. Make sure it is a deep pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Top with pineapple slices and arrange cherries between the pineapple slices. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in the sugars vigorously getting out any brown sugar lumps – mixture will be gritty. Whisk in egg, yogurt, milk, pineapple juice, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
- Pour/spoon batter into prepared pan. Make sure it’s not overflowing. Bake for at 40-48 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil at the 20 minute mark to avoid browning. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Invert cake on top of a cake stand or a large serving plate. Slice and serve.