Recipe for Samoas Brownies – Between the cookie crust, dark chocolate brownies, caramel and coconut topping, and chocolate drizzle, everyone will fall in love with these
Between the cookie crust, dark chocolate brownies, caramel and coconut topping, and chocolate drizzle, everyone will fall in love with these
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate disks
- 1 teaspoon brewed coffee (optional)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp, cut into tablespoons
- ½ cup heavy cream, room temp
- 2½ cups sweetened, shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8″x8″ baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the butter. Stir in sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, salt, and optional coffee. Once combined, fold in cocoa powder and flour. Toss in bittersweet chocolate disks.
- Pour the brownie batter into the baking dish, spreading evenly to the edges. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before topping with caramel sauce.
- While the brownies are baking, make your coconut caramel. In a medium saucepan, heat the sugar on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Use a spatula to occasionally stir the sugar, getting to the bottom of the pan. At first the sugar will be lumpy, but will soon melt and start turning a brownish color. Don’t stir too often, just enough to keep everything evenly cooking.
- After 5 minutes, the sugar should become fully melted. Once it becomes an amber hue, remove from heat immediately and stir in butter. The mixture will violently bubble. You’re doing it right.
- Use your spatula to stir the butter and sugar until they melt together completely. This can take 1-2 minutes.
- Next, pour in the heavy cream and sea salt. You can use 1 to 1½ teaspoons, depending on how much saltiness you like. Use your spatula to stir until everything is combined. Place back on the stove for about 30 seconds, stirring the whole time. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut flakes. Set aside until brownies are cooled.
- Once the brownies have cooled for 15 minutes, run a knife along the edges so they don’t stick to the pan. Spread the coconut caramel on top of the brownies. Again, run a knife along the edges to prevent anything from sticking to the pan.
- Heat the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 30 second increments. Stir in between each heating.
- Spoon melted chocolate into a small ziplock bag, creating a makeshift pastry bag. Cut a small (tiny!) slit at the bottom corner of the bag. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the coconut caramel. Set in the fridge to cool for about 1 hour. Cut into 9 brownies and serve!