This is an excellent skinny chimichanga recipe. It is baked, instead of deep-fried. The chimichangas comes out crispy with a moist and flavorful filling.
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp mild green chili pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 in fat-free flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Spray a medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; set over medium-high heat.
- Add the turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, and cumin.
- Cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon until browned, about 6 miuntes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and the chiles; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the mixture thickens, slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm for 10 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla.
- Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling.
- Place the chimichangas, seam-side down, on the baking sheet.
- Lightly spray the tops of the tortillas with nonstick spray.
- Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 miuntes.